January 8, 2019
Public Safety Personnel Retirement System
State of Arizona
January 8, 2019
Contact: Christian Palmer
Municipal financial professional Scott McCarty appointed to PSPRS Board of Trustees
McCarty has served nearly three decades in public service.
ARIZONA – Scott McCarty, finance director of the Town of Queen Creek, has been appointed to join the nine-member Public Safety Personnel Retirement System Board of Trustees.
McCarty, who has served a number of municipalities across Arizona and the West during a nearly three decade career in public service, was appointed under state law by Arizona Senate President Steve Yarborough.
“I look forward to where the board is headed and I look forward to being a constructive contributor to that,” said McCarty, who has 30 years in public service. “My perspective comes from the eyes of the municipal employer.”
McCarty, a certified public accountant licensed in Arizona, joined the Town of Queen Creek in 2015. Prior to that, McCarty worked in the Town of Paradise Valley, the City of Surprise, the City of Scottsdale and the Town of Gilbert helping those municipalities manage their finances, multimillion-dollar budgets and their substantial pension obligations.
McCarty said he was excited about his appointment and is encouraged by the board’s investment experience and commitment to long-term trust sustainability and improving education for local boards and employers.
“Scott McCarty brings built-in knowledge about pensions and the perspective of Arizona employers that have dealt with escalating costs and legal and operational changes,” said PSPRS Administrator Jared Smout. “He’ll make an excellent addition to the board and we’re excited about his appointment.”
Other board members include:
● Will Buividas, chairman – Phoenix Police Department officer, member of the City of Phoenix Deferred Compensation Board and chairman of the Phoenix Healthcare Benefits Trust Board. Chairman of the PSPRS Defined Contribution Committee. Appointed by Sen. Andy Biggs.
● Harry A. Papp - Managing partner of L. Roy Papp & Associates with four decades of experience as a portfolio manager and securities analyst. Chartered financial analyst and former acquisition manager of G.D. Searle & Co. Also member of State Board of Investment. Appointed by Gov. Doug Ducey.
● Mike Scheidt – City of Tempe firefighter who has served on the Tempe local PSPRS pension board, the city’s Deferred Compensation Board and the Arizona Firefighters Health Care Trust board. Appointed by Rep. David Gowan.
● Dean Scheinert – More than 30 years of experience with investment management and capital markets, including terms as senior vice president for J.P. Morgan Chase Private Bank and U.S. Bank. Current corporate & major gifts officer with the Musical Instrument Museum. Appointed by Gov. Doug Ducey.
● Don Smith - Former and 15-year chief executive officer of Copperpoint Insurance and former deputy secretary at the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry. Appointed by Gov. Doug Ducey.