Board of Trustees Meetings
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees governs PSPRS and has a fiduciary responsibility to the PSPRS trust and membership. Trustees oversee the system’s policies, operations, and investment with all powers and duties outlined in state statute and internal policies. The board consists of nine members, each serving five-year terms. Four trustees are appointed by the governor. A fifth trustee is also appointed by the governor, but must first be nominated by the PSPRS advisory committee and the Board of Trustees. Two trustees are appointed by the president of the Senate, and two are appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives.
Membership of the Board of Trustees is split between members of the system, law enforcement and fire department, and trustees representing employers and taxpayers. The legal requirements for non-PSPRS members to serve on the board are stringent requiring at least 10 years of substantial experience in any one or a combination of the following:
• A portfolio manager acting in a fiduciary capacity
• A securities analyst
• Senior executive/principal of a trust institution, investment organization or endowment fund acting either in a management or an investment-related capacity
• A chartered financial analyst in good standing as determined by the chartered financial analyst institute
• Professor or instructor at the college or university level in the field of economics, finance, actuarial science, accounting or pension-related subjects
• Senior executive engaged in the field of public or private finances or with experience with public pension systems
• Senior executive in insurance, banking, underwriting, auditing, human resources or risk management
Live web stream of the meetings
A link for the web stream will appear below on the day of the next scheduled meeting.
Click here for instructions to listen to the meeting.
Board of Trustees and Committee Meetings
PSPRS Board of Trustees typically meets on the last Wednesday of each month at the PSPRS office, unless otherwise indicated. Board and committee meetings are open to the public and broadcasted via live audio web stream. Members of the public are welcome to attend all meetings, but executive sessions, which under state law, are not open to the public. In addition to the regular monthly Board of Trustee meetings, there are four board committees:
1. Defined Contribution (DC) Committee has the overall responsibility to control and manage the operation, investment and administration of the defined contribution plans, including selection of providers, communications with members, and oversight of plan investments.
2. Advisory Committee serves as a liaison between the PSPRS Board of Trustees, members and employers of PSPRS by providing communication and strategic recommendations on matters of interest to stakeholders and/or PSPRS.
3. Investment Committee meets to review and discuss investment transactions, fund performance, and to review and establish investment procedures, policies and strategies.
4. Operations, Governance Policy and Audit Committee reviews and provides recommendations to the board concerning the agency’s operations, Governance Policy manual, strategic planning, budget administration, benefit administration and legislative agenda. The committee also oversees the financial functions of the system, including accounting, auditing, actuarial and compliance functions. (NOTE: The Operations and Government Policy Committee was combined with the Audit Committee on May 18, 2021. Records for previous Audit Committee are available in the committee tab below.)
All agendas, minutes and meeting materials are presented in PDF format, which require Adobe Reader to view.
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02, the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System hereby states that all notices of the meetings of the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System and any of its committees and subcommittees will be posted on the front door of the administrative offices of the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System, located at 3010 East Camelback Road, Suite 200, Phoenix, Arizona 85016, and on this website, 24 hours in advance of such meeting, or with such notice as otherwise required by law. After posting, such notices can be viewed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Such notices will indicate the date, time, and place of the meeting and will include an agenda, or information concerning the manner in which the public may obtain an agenda, for the meeting.
If you plan on attending a meeting, please check back on this website for any changes prior to participating.
Scheduled Board of Trustees Meeting (2023)
January 24, 2023 (Tuesday)
February 22, 2023 (Wednesday)
March 29, 2023 (Wednesday)
April 26, 2023 (Wednesday)
May 31, 2023 (Wednesday)
June 2023 (No meeting)
July 2023 (No meeting)
August 30, 2023 (Wednesday)
September 27, 2023 (Wednesday)
October 25, 2023 (Wednesday)
November 29, 2023 (Wednesday)
December 20, 2023 (Wednesday)
Scheduled DC Committee Meeting (2023)
February 8, 2023 (Wednesday)
May 8, 2023 (Monday)
August 2, 2023 (Wednesday)
November 8, 2023 (Wednesday)