August 27, 2020
Public Safety Personnel Retirement System
State of Arizona
August 27, 2020
Contact: Christian Palmer
PSPRS hires government finance, infrastructure leaders
Clark Partridge, longtime state comptroller, joins agency to help employers
PHOENIX, AZ – Completing its rebuild of internal finance and accounting operations the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System announced the hiring of former state comptroller Clark Partridge to serve as the system’s in-house financial consultant.
After working through the final stages of the FY2019 audit and the related challenges, PSPRS Administrator Mike Townsend committed to assist system employers through the hiring of internal finance, accounting and technology experts, establishing new accounting systems and greater actuarial research and outreach.
The addition of Partridge adds another deeply experienced team member to the staff of PSPRS, which manages approximately $10.6 billion in assets on behalf of more than 59,000 police officers, fire fighters, detention officers and retired elected officials.
“In Clark Partridge, PSPRS has added one the foremost experts in public finance anywhere,” said Townsend, a certified public accountant. “Together with our staff and a veteran leader like John Moorman, Clark’s experience and his depth of knowledge will be critical to improving operations and services to bring long-term sustainability to PSPRS-managed pension plans.”
Partridge, who began his career with the state in 1989, has for years been responsible for statewide accounting and financial operations, managing over $52 billion in assets, $38 billion in expenditures, and the bi-weekly payroll for the state’s more than 38,000 employees.
“Retirement benefits and programs significantly impact the lives of members and their families,” Partridge said. “I’m excited to work with the team at PSPRS in serving public employees, officials and participating employers.”
He joins several experienced finance and operational hires, including:
- Young Chung – PSPRS Accountant; Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System former accountant supervisor
- Jack Jordan – PSPRS Controller; Arizona General Accounting Office former statewide agency accountant
- Jared Mazza – PSPRS Financial Reporting Manager; Arizona Department of Administration statewide accounting manager
- Crystal Messner – PSPRS Internal Auditor; Arizona General Accounting Office former statewide internal audit manager
- Mike Smarik – PSPRS Deputy Administrator; Arizona Department of Administration former interim state comptroller and former deputy state comptroller