The PSPRS Executive Team ensures the efficient execution of the day-to-day operations of the PSPRS Administrative Office and is dedicated to administering all directives established by the PSPRS Board of Trustees.
Interim Chief Investment Officer & Chief of Staff
Jared A. Smout – Administrator
Jared started working at PSPRS in 1992 and has managed or held positions in every department within the organization. In doing so, Jared gained an unrivaled depth of knowledge and experience that serves membership, employers, local boards and the public well. Appointed as Administrator in August 2015, Jared is responsible for the day-to-day management of PSPRS, including oversight of budgeting, staffing, active member and retiree services, local board services, legal, accounting, information technology and investment operations. To PSPRS staff, government policy analysts and the public alike, Jared is known for his ability to immediately answer almost every question related to the retirement plans and programs entrusted to his care. He currently serves as Vice Chair of the newly created PSPRS Defined Contribution Committee and was also recently appointed to the City of Phoenix Healthcare Benefit Trust Board. He resides in Fountain Hills with Lydia, his beloved wife of more than 20 years, and their four children.
• Master of Public Administration (Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University)
• Master of Science, Information Management (W.P. Carey School of Business, ASU)
• Bachelor of Science, Accountancy, magna cum laude (W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University)
• Bachelor of Science, Computer Information Systems, magna cum laude (W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University)
• Certified Public Accountant
Dave DeJonge – Deputy Administrator
Dave began his public pension career at PSPRS in 1985 and moved to Minnesota to become the Public Employees Retirement Association’s chief financial officer in 1996. He became the assistant executive director of the Minnesota plan in 2001 and was responsible for the internal operations of the agency before becoming the interim executive director in 2015. In 2016, Dave moved back to Arizona to become the deputy administrator for PSPRS.
Dave is a member of the Government Finance Officers Association Special Review Executive Committee and is a board member and past-president of the Public Pension Financial Forum (P2F2), a national association of chief financial officers and finance staff of public pension plans from across the country. He also sat on Governmental Accounting Standards Board’s implementation guide advisory committee for GASB Statements 67 and 68, as well as the Pension Communication Resource Group coordinated by GASB.
• MBA (Arizona State University)
• Undergraduate in Business Administration and Music Education (Concordia College)
• Certified Government Financial Manager
• Certified Treasury Professional
Mark Steed – Interim Chief Investment Officer & Chief of Staff
Mark has senior responsibility for the public equity and credit opportunities portfolios and has more than 10 years of experience with private and public markets. Starting as an intern in 2007, Mark earned an investment team position that included overseeing private equity and venture capital investments. He recently concluded a four-year project as a forecaster for the distinguished Good Judgment Project, led by prominent behavioral economist Phil Tetlock. Prior to joining PSPRS, Mark worked in banking for JP Morgan Chase. Mark lives in Gilbert with his wife and three children, and is a member of the acclaimed musical group Cinematic Pop.
• MS in Predictive Analytics (Northwestern University)
• MBA (Thunderbird School of Global Management, Jost Henkel Scholar)
• Undergraduate in Latin American Studies (Brigham Young University, Honors from Sigma Iota Rho)
• Specific Research on Private Markets in Emerging Economies
• Named among 2013 “Rising Stars of Public Funds” by Money Market Intelligence
• Previously lived in Latin America
• Fluent in Spanish